Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Das Machinst - A 1970's Abstract German Film

Or The Machinist - starring Christian Bale.

Well, where to begin? I think I had decided that this would be my type of film before I went in to the cinema and I think I was right.

The film involves a man, an extremely skinny man, who works in a factory, sees the same prostitute frequently, mainly for companionship and has become friends with a waitress at a 24 hour coffee shop during the midnight hours. That's all I'm going to tell you. Oh, and it's subject matter - which may or may not be obvious from the description above - is rather depressing.

I liked it - You might like it. You might not.

Pretty bad review, huh?

Well, Mr. B asked for it - and Mr. B got it...

Maybe next time I won't write a review for a film 3 days after I saw it at 1am in the morning.

D.S.

No comments: