Sunday, May 15, 2005

Standing at the Opera

So yesterday I got to stand backstage at Opera Australia's production of The Magic Flute. This particular production has been in their repertoire since 1986 (there's some they still perform that are from the late '70s). While the production was kind of interesting - walls that moved in and out, forced perspective, people in furry animal costumes - being backstage listening to the Deputy Stage Manager (DSM) calling the show was mainly boring.

Of course this may have been because earlier in the week I got to be backstage during a performance of The Love for Three Oranges which compared to The Magic Flute was super crazy for the DSM.

The Magic Flute only had 2 fly cues, about 12 mech cues and about 80 lighting cues - compared to The Love for Three Oranges which had about 20 fly cues, 20 mech cues, 140 lighting cues, 4 smoke cues and so on...

Anyway, Opera Australia seems like a feasible option for a bit of employment after uni. It could be fun.

Also - I'm thinking of buying an I-pod. (Yes. I've given in to their ingenious marketing campaigns. I still think there's some subliminal messaging somewhere within those silhouetted dancing people.)

D.S.

3 comments:

Toria/Deb said...

Yeah, those silhouettes are kinda cool but since I already own a MP3 from a competitor it'd be *RATHER* stupid to buy another one. I must admit to a teeny bit of jealousy....but heck, at the time I bought mine (Feb '04) the price difference was like $150 more for the IPod. So, I picked the Rio Cali one. Been generally happy with it, so far. Good luck getting one and enjoy if you do get it :)

Andrew said...

My family went and saw the magic flute (not me :P). Pretty cool backstageiness.

Give in to the iPod! it (won't) make your wildest dreams come true!

Dave said...

Hmmm...

I-pod.

I-don't-pod.

I think the reason why I want one is because of the high capacity of storage space they have. Having that much music in such a small space seems like a brilliant idea, especially seeing I love to listen to music whenever I can.

I'll do a bit more I-pondering.

D.S.